Saturday, January 8, 2022

Homemade Pierogies

 I wasn’t compensated for this post.  All opinions are 100% my own.

Homemade Pierogies

 

pierogies

Being from northern California I had never heard of pierogies. That is until I moved to Illinois and my neighbor from Louisiana introduced me. I have loved them ever since.  

 

I always bought the ones in the frozen section until one day I had leftover potatoes and decided I had to try to make it myself.  This recipe is based on what I found a few years ago and I have tweaked to my liking. You can find the dough recipe at  Genius Kitchen. I just double the recipe.

 

I personally put the dough in the fridge for an hour after the 30 minutes resting.  I also double the recipe. Once I have the dough in the fridge I mix the filling. I have heard that there are many different fillings out there, even sweet ones. I personally always use mashed potatoes and shredded cheddar cheese. The ratio is about 2 cups potatoes to 2 cups cheese. You then mix them together. I have also thrown some green onion into the mix.  Once I have the filling done I pull out the dough and roll it very thin. As thin as you can and still be able to handle it. Use a biscuit cutter or glass to cut out the dough. Fill each circle with the filling, making sure not to overstuff. Less is more because if you fill them too much they are hard to seal. You then seal with your fingers and finish with a fork around the edges.

At this point you can freeze them right away on your cookie sheet or cook right away. If freezing once they are frozen place them in a freezer safe bag to cook later. If you are cooking now start a pot of boiling water. Add the pierogies to the water and remove when they begin to float, about 3 minutes.  

While your pierogies are boiling cut up a vidalia onion (best for pierogies in my opinion) and a few tablespoons of butter in a saucepan. Heat to medium.

When peirogies are floating take them out of the water and into the pan with butter and onions.

Cook until the pierogies have a nice golden crust. You will never want to have store bought pierogies again! Enjoy!

 

 

Here We Go Again Ready wasn’t compensated for this post. All opinions are 100% my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment